March 18, 2013

Bettye's Story



Bettye is 80 years old and lives by herself in Houston. Bettye first learned about Meals on Wheels through her provider. As Bettye aged, it became difficult for her to do certain task, like going to the store. “I go with somebody, but not by myself,” she said. When it comes to meals she has to be very specific because of her high blood pressure. It has become difficult for her to get around and walk also. “I have had surgery on both my knees and hip replacement,” she said. Bettye has two sons who do not live close by but, check on her over the phone. Her daughter is currently serving with the army in Afghanistan. She lives by herself but does have a pet Chihuahua, named Butchy. "He is my watch dog,” she laughed.

Bettye really enjoys the meals. She loves to talk to her driver who brings the food, “The lady who brings it is so nice,” she said.   “The meals are real good and I like the sweet milk.” With having high blood pressure she is able to get the meals that she need, “They are real, real healthy. I don’t know what I would do without the meals,” she said.

No comments: