December 13, 2012

Iva's Story


Iva is a Meals on Wheels client who lives just north of downtown Houston.  She’s almost 98 years old and has had quite a few health problems this year.  She’s fallen twice and her hearing is declining rapidly.  “I had to quit cooking all together,” she said.  She is so frail lately that she not only gets the daily lunches, but also breakfast meals and weekend lunches as well.  “I just don’t know what in the world I would do without those meals.  I would just be eating toast because that is all I can make.”

Iva lives alone in an apartment she has been in for about 15 years.  Her husband passed away more than 30 years ago and she has one son that comes by to check on her from time to time.  She lost her only daughter last year to cancer.  “I’m alright by myself,” she said. “I want to stay right here.  I don’t want to leave.”  She talks to the driver when she comes by.  The drive is sometimes the only person Iva sees on a given day. “Sometimes I don’t feel well so I just don’t leave the house for weeks.  I know I’ll have my meals.  Those Meals on Wheels come in handy!” 

Each day Meals on Wheels for Greater Houston delivers 4,500 hot meals to homebound seniors in Houston.  If you pledge to help seniors like Iva during the holiday season, you gift will double. Shell Oil Company and Motiva Enterprises LLC have generously agreed to match every dollar raised during the holiday season up to $50,000.  That means you have twice the power to help hungry seniors in Houston. Won’t you give today? DONATE HERE.
A United Way Agency




No comments: