December 13, 2012

Mary's Story




Mary is an 80 year old Meals on Wheels client who lives alone in the house she’s lived in for almost 40 years.  For most of her life she was a chef, cooking meals for others until she started getting arthritis in her leg.  Her arthritis moved to other parts of her body and as she aged, her eyesight began to deteriorate.  Although she loved cooking, she couldn’t do it anymore, even for herself.  She started getting Meals on Wheels several years ago and loves it. “I know I don’t have to worry about that one meal.   I can’t walk very well and it’s hard for me to stand at the stove for a long time, so the meal deliveries are a blessing,” Mary said.   

The majority of Mary’s family lives in Lafayette, Louisiana so she only has the people in her neighborhood, along with her Meals on Wheels driver to check on her. “Betty (her driver) is simply wonderful; she always comes in and talks with me.  Sometimes I get lonely and it’s nice to have a visitor.  Most importantly she delivers my meal hot.”  
 
IM's Meals on Wheels for Greater Houston delivers 4,500 nutritious meals to homebound seniors in Houston. Learn more about how you can donate or volunteer today.

A United Way Agency




No comments: