December 13, 2012

Charles' Story



Charles' Story


Charles is 76 and has lived by himself since his beloved wife of 36 passed away a little while ago.  “There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about her,” he said.  He can’t get around very well without his walker and maneuvering around the kitchen isn’t easy. “I’m diabetic and Meals on Wheels means a lot to me,” he said. “It helps me make sure I have at least one good, hot meal every day.”  Because Charles has such difficulty cooking, Meals on Wheels for Greater Houston also delivers breakfast and weekend meals to Charles.

 He’s lonely without his wife and not only is the meal important, so is the conversation. On some days, the only person Sanchez sees is the driver who delivers his meals. “My driver is real nice. She talks to me and tells me what's going on, has a little conversation with me and it makes me feel good,” he said.

Each day Meals on Wheels for Greater Houston delivers 4,500 nutritious meals to homebound seniors in Houston.  If you pledge to help seniors like Charles during the holiday season, you gift will double. Shell Oil Company and Motiva Enterprises LLC have generously agreed to match every dollar raised during the holiday season up to $50,000.  That means you have twice the power to help hungry seniors in Houston. Won’t you give today? DONATE HERE.
A United Way Agency






No comments: