August 28, 2013

A Thought to Ponder from the President & CEO

This September marks the beginning of my 42nd year working for non-profits. And, as perhaps a bit of coincidence, it also marks my 42nd wedding anniversary. While I've worked at a number of wonderful organizations, I've been fortunate to have my one and only wife - Alyson, by my side. I've had a great career and a very good marriage. I hope that Alyson agrees!

There is something very sweet about being secure in relationships. It's awfully nice to know that each day your spouse will be there to support you and to put up with your idiosyncrasies. Lord knows, I have plenty. As many of you know, I have known Alyson for most of my life, having grown up together in Levittown, Pa.

I am sure there are some of you who wonder how we keep things fresh. Well, we wonder about that too. There are times when I know that each of us questions what life would have been like if we did not have one another. We have pregnant pauses when there's not much to say. We know each other almost too well.

But like my career, every day brings new challenges and opportunities. At work, there's never a boring day. Stuff flies at me with abandon, and it's my bedrock principles and values that ultimately make it possible for me to face whatever may come.

At home, things are much more serene, mostly, and it's the knowledge that I have the one steady force in my life that helps me be at peace. Family pressures come and go; but it is the quirky stuff of love and relationship that makes life worthwhile.

Do I have regrets? Sure. We're far from perfect. But would I change anything? Not on your life.

Talk to you next month.

Elliot Gershenson President & CEO
Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston
713.533.4901
3303 Main St. Houston, TX 77002

No comments: