March 30, 2012

Meet a Bhutanese Refugee Family

 
Dahn was born in war torn Bhutan and when he was young, his family moved to Nepal to escape the persecution and conflict. In Nepal, he and his parents were forced to live in a refugee camp without any opportunities and no rights. He spent almost his entire life in the camp, even marrying and having two daughters there. He knew he wanted a better life for his children and he applied for refugee status to come to the U.S. After two years of waiting, Dahn, his wife Tila and daughters Babita, 7, and Bitisha, 2, finally arrived in Houston. “I was scared when I first arrived. I had all these questions, ‘Where will I work? Where will we live?’ But my case worker, who is also from Bhutan, picked me up from the airport and made me feel comfortable. He taught me everything, enrolled my oldest daughter in school and helped me find a job. I feel so lucky to be here and lucky that my children now have a better future.”

Learn more about refugees in Houston here.

No comments: